In today's fitness-conscious world, gym stringer tanks have become a popular choice among fitness enthusiasts.
These sleeveless tops provide an optimal range of motion and breathability during intense workouts.
However, if you’ve got a bunch of old t-shirts lying around, and you’re crafty, you can make your own stringers. With some basic sewing skills and materials, you can make your own DIY stringer tank at home and salvage and breathe new life into old tees.
Why Make a Gym Stringer Tank?
- Customization: Crafting your own workout wear allows you to customize the perfect stringer tank. You can choose the ideal fabric, color, fit, and style. This is especially important if you have a hard time finding workout clothes that fit you well or that you like the look of.
- Affordability: Making it yourself also saves you money compared to buying a premade tank top. Gym stringer tanks can be expensive, especially if you want a high-quality one. But if you make it yourself, you can use whatever materials you have on hand and save a lot of money.
- Satisfaction: There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of wearing something that you made yourself. When you make your own gym stringer tank, you can be proud of your work and know that you're wearing something that is truly unique.
It’s fair to say that a DIY stringer will probably never be quite as good as a high-quality performance gym stringer. But, your homemade stringer will do in a pinch.
To make your own stringer tank at home, you'll need:
- An old t-shirt, ideally cotton or a stretchy athletic material
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Tailor's chalk or fabric marker
- Clear ruler
Opt for a fitted t-shirt in a moisture-wicking performance fabric if possible. This will result in the most comfortable and functional DIY stringer tank.
Follow these instructions to turn an old t-shirt into a DIY gym stringer tank:
1. Mark the bottom of the armholes
Lay the t-shirt flat and use chalk to mark a line 2 inches up from each side seam under the arms. This is where the bottom of the armholes will be.
2. Mark the top of the armholes
Measure 4 inches from the shoulder seam down towards the bottom armhole mark to determine the top of the armhole. Mark with chalk.
3. Sketch the armholes
Use a ruler to connect the top and bottom marks for each armhole. Then sketch a slightly curved line to create an arched armhole.
4. Mark the neckline
Decide how wide you want the neck opening to be. For a flattering look, keep the front neckline close to the original and make the back wider. Mark with chalk.
5. Cut the neckline
Carefully cut along the chalk line to create the neck opening. The neckline and arm will determine how long the straps will be. Play around with your chalk design before you commit to a final cut and get a strap length that works for you.
6. Hem the raw edges
Finish the newly cut neckline and armholes by folding the edges under 1/4 inch and sewing a straight stitch around each opening.
7. Customize it
Personalize your DIY stringer tank with trims or openings on the sides. Get creative with mesh panel accents, a racerback, or a stylish back cut-out.
Alternatives To DIY Stringer Tanks
Creating your own gym stringer tank requires some sewing skills and time. If you want a quality stringer without the DIY effort, purchase one from LYFTLYFE.
Our stringer tanks are designed for peak performance, comfort, and style for everything from CrossFit to cycling and lounging. We use innovative technical fabrics that wick moisture and allow maximum airflow. The athletic slim fit, dropped armholes and hip length create a flattering silhouette.
With countless colors and styles, you can find the perfect stringer tank for your workout needs. Our tanks are durable yet affordable. We also offer fast shipping and responsive customer support.
So forgo the DIY and shop our selection of high-quality stringer tanks instead!
Crafting a DIY gym stringer tank can be rewarding and cost-effective. However, purchasing a ready-made stringer from LYFTLYFE ensures exceptional quality and performance without the work. Our urban-inspired stringer tanks deliver both form and function.
Thanks to our technical design and fabrics, our stringers outperform basic homemade tanks. To save time and effort while looking stylish at the gym, check out LYFTLYFE's collection of stringer tanks today!