At LYFTLYFE, we know tank tops and gym stringers are wardrobe staples for everyone from those starting their fitness journey to dedicated pros with years of experience.
Tank tops are one of our mainstays as a brand that specializes in versatile, high-quality activewear that transitions seamlessly from the gym to the streets. In this blog post, we'll explore the benefits of tank tops for men and the best occasions to wear them.
What is a Tank Top?
A tank top is a sleeveless shirt with wide shoulder straps and a low or scooped neckline it’s similar to a stringer but with a less aggressive cut around the arms. Tank tops come in a variety of styles and strap lengths to fit different needs.
Tank tops for men are designed as undershirts or stand-alone tops. The name comes from their resemblance to old-style sleeveless undershirts worn by men in the military.
Unlike a t-shirt, a tank top has no sleeves and exposes much of the shoulder and upper arm area. Tank tops are made from lightweight, breathable fabrics like cotton, polyester, or blends. This allows airflow and sweat-wicking.
The Function of a Tank Top
For men, tank tops make excellent undershirts to wear beneath open-front shirts or jackets. They protect dress shirts from sweat and add a smooth foundation layer. Tank undershirts prevent see-through issues and nipple show-through with lighter fabrics.
Layering a tank top provides warmth without adding bulk. It also absorbs sweat instead of your nicer outer shirt. For casual settings, tank tops alone pair well with shorts, jeans, or joggers in warm weather.
Benefits of Wearing a Tank Top
Tank tops work for both undershirts and outerwear across many settings from the gym to casual daily use. Pair them with shorts or pants, and wear them under open shirts, hoodies, flannels, and jackets.
Tanks go from the weight room to running errands seamlessly. The same tank top also functions well as pajamas or comfortable loungewear at home.
Tank tops feel light and allow great mobility and breathability. The looser fit and lack of sleeves prevent restricted movement during physical activity or in hot weather. The soft, stretchy cotton or athletic material wicks moisture to keep you dry.
To get the most comfort, be sure that you are wearing tank tops that are sized to your proportions.
Tank tops are a versatile piece of clothing that can be worn for a variety of occasions. Here are some ideas for when to wear a tank top:
- At the gym, under a hoodie, or by itself: Tank tops are a great base layer for working out because they wick away sweat and keep you cool.
- Outdoors in summer: Tank tops are perfect for hot weather because they are breathable and allow your skin to cool down.
- Running errands on a hot day: Tank tops are more airy than t-shirts, so they are a good choice for running errands on a hot day.
- Under an unbuttoned shirt: Tank tops can be worn under an unbuttoned shirt to prevent sweat stains and nip-show.
- Lounging around the house: Tank tops are comfortable and cool, so they are perfect for lounging around the house in warm weather.
Occasions When You Should Skip The Tank Top
- Professional settings like the office: Tank tops can look sloppy or informal in a professional setting. It is best to wear clothes that are more appropriate for the workplace, such as button-down shirts or blouses.
- Formal events: Tank tops are very casual wear, so they are not appropriate for formal events. If you are attending a wedding, funeral, or other formal event, it is best to wear clothes that are more dressy, such as a suit or a dress.
- Cold weather: Tank tops lack sleeves and expose your skin to the elements. If you are going to be in cold weather, it is best to wear clothes that will keep you warm, such as a sweater or a jacket.
Tank tops offer unmatched versatility and comfort when you need light, breathable clothing in warm weather but still want something more substantial than being shirtless. Layer a tank top under other garments when you need an extra sweat barrier and freedom of movement. Or wear a tank solo to beat the heat without sacrificing style.